112th Field Artillery Battalion

(First New Jersey Artillery)

Organized 3 April 1917 in the New Jersey National Guard from new and existing units as the 1st Battalion, Field Artillery, with Headquarters at Camden

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 17 July 1917 as the 1st Field Artillery

Drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

Reorganized and redesignated 15 September 1917 as the 110th Field Artillery and assigned to the 29th Division

Redesignated 27 September 1917 as the 112th Field Artillery and remained assigned to the 29th Division

Demobilized 31 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey

Reorganized 1920-1921 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 1st Battalion, Field Artillery; Headquarters Federally recognized 27 June 1921 at East Orange

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 20 April 1922 as the 112th Field Artillery and assigned to the 44th Division; Headquarters Federally recognized 8 January 1924 at Camden

(Location of Headquarters changed 10 May 1929 to Trenton)

(2d Battalion redesignated 14 June 1936 as the 1st Battalion, 157th Field Artillery, an element of the 44th Division-see ANNEX 1; new 2nd Battalion organized and Federally recognized 1 July 1936 with Headquarters at Trenton)

Relieved 1 December 1939 from assignment to the 44th Division (1st Battalion concurrently redesignated as the 1st Battalion, 165th Field Artillery, an element of the 44th Division-see ANNEX 2; new 1st Battalion concurrently organized from the former 1st Battalion, 165th Field Artillery [organized and Federally recognized 15 November 1939 in the New Jersey National Guard with Headquarters at Morristown])

Inducted into Federal service 27 January 1941 at home stations

Regiment broken up 1 May 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:

Headquarters and the 1st Battalion as the 695th Field Artillery Battalion; 2nd Battalion as the 696th Field Artillery Battalion (Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 112th Field Artillery Group – hereafter separate lineage)

After 1 May 1943 the above units underwent changes as follows: 695th Field Artillery Battalion reorganized and redesignated 26 August 1943 as the 695th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. Inactivated 2 November 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts. Reorganized and Federally recognized 17 December 1946 with Headquarters at Morristown

696th Field Artillery Battalion reorganized and redesignated 26 August 1943 as the 696th Armored Field Artillery Battalion

Inactivated 27 October 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia

Reorganized and Federally recognized 24 September 1946 with Headquarters at Trenton

Ordered into active Federal service 3 September 1950 at home stations

(695th Armored Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 10 November 1952 with Headquarters at Morristown)

Released 17 December 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 695th Armored Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS]

695th and 696th Armored Field Artillery Battalions consolidated 1 March 1959 with the 228th (see ANNEX 1), 199th (see ANNEX 2), 157th (see ANNEX 3), and 286th (see ANNEX 4) Armored Field Artillery Battalions to form the 112th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Howitzer Battalions and the 4th Rocket Howitzer Battalion, elements of the 50th Armored Division, and the 5th and 6th Howitzer Battalions

Reorganized 31 January 1963 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division, and the 5th Howitzer Battalion

Reorganized 15 March 1966 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division, the 5th Howitzer Battalion, and the 7th Battalion

Reorganized 1 February 1968 to consist of the 3rd, 4th, and 6th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division, and the 1st, 5th, and 7th Battalions

Reorganized 1 December 1971 to consist of the 3rd, 4th, and 6th Field Artillery Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division, and the 1st, 5th, and 7th Battalions

Reorganized 1 April 1972 to consist of the 3rd, 4th, and 6th Field Artillery Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division, and the 1st and 5th Battalions

Redesignated 1 May 1972 as the 112th Field Artillery

Reorganized 1 May 1975 to consist of the 3rd and 4th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division, and the 1st and 5th Battalions

Reorganized 1 July.1975 to consist of the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized 1 May 1980 to consist of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Withdrawn 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System

Reorganized 1 September 1991 to consist of the 1st and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized 1 September 1993 to consist of the 1st and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 42nd Infantry Division

Reorganized 1 September 1997 to consist of the 3rd Battalion and Battery D, elements of the 42nd Infantry Division

ANNEX 1

1st Battalion, 157th Field Artillery, inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations

Redesignated 20 February 1942 as the 1st Battalion, 228th Field Artillery, and relieved from assignment to the 44th Division

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1943 as the 228th Field Artillery Battalion

Inactivated 27 October 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts

Redesignated 5 July 1946 as the 228th Armored Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 31 October 1946 at Camden

ANNEX 2

1st Battalion, 165th Field Artillery, inducted Into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations

Reorganized and redesignated 20 February 1942 as the 199th Field Artillery Battalion and relieved from assignment to the 44th Division

Inactivated 23 October 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York

Redesignated 5 July 1946 as the 199th Armored Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 26 November 1945 with Headquarters at East Orange

ANNEX 3

Organized and Federally recognized 8 June 1936 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 2nd Battalion, 157th Field Artillery, an element of the 44th Division, with Headquarters at Atlantic City

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations

Disbanded 7 January 1941 at Fort Dix, New Jersey

Reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 2nd Battalion, 157th Field Artillery

Redesignated 9 July 1946 as the 157th Field Artillery Battalion

Reorganized and Federally recognized 12 February 1947 with Headquarters at Atlantic City

Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1954 as the 157th Armored Field Artillery Battalion

ANNEX 4

Constituted 9 July 1946 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 308th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion

Redesignated 1 December 1947 as the 308th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion

Organized and Federally recognized 9 January 1950 with Headquarters at Rio Grande

Redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 308th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion

Converted and redesignated 1 February 1955 as the 286th Armored Field Artillery

Campaign Participation Credit

WORLD WAR I
Streamer without inscription

WORLD WAR II
Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe

Headquarters Battery (Morristown) and Battery A (Morristown), 3rd Battalion

WORLD WAR I
Meuse-Argonne
Alsace 1918

Battery D (Camden Light Artillery, Cherry Hill)

Civil War
Bull Run
Wilderness
Spotsylvania
Cold Harbor
Petersburg
Shenandoah
Appomattox
Virginia 1863

Decorations

Presidential Unit Citation (Army)

Streamer embroidered MOSELLE RIVER

puc_v2
Headquarters Battery (Morristown) and Battery A (Morristown), 3rd Battalion

Presidential Unit Citation (Army)

Streamer embroidered SCHALBACH

puc_v2

Battery B (Lawrenceville), 3rd Battalion

Croix de Guerre with Palm

World War II

Streamer embroidered MOSELLE RIVER

croixdeguerre

Researchers

Researchers interested in viewing our collections should contact Mr. Joseph Bilby, Assistant Curator, at (732) 974-5966.